Planning Permission For Equestrian Building

planning permission for equestrian building, planning application for equestrian steel building, planning permission for equestrian steel buildings, equestrian building planning services, steel equestrian building planning permission, equestrian building planning consultants Contact us →

Advice & Guidance on Equestrian and Agricultural Permitted Development & Planning Permission

Equestrian and Agriculture are treated as separate entities when it comes to planning. Section 336 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 defines 'Agriculture' as:

horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming, the breeding and keeping of livestock (including any creature kept for the production of food, wool, skins or fur, or for the purpose of its use in the farming of land), the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, osier land, market gardens and nursery grounds, and the use of land for woodlands where that use is ancillary to the farming of land for other agricultural purposes.

This means that keeping horses, for example a livery yard or stud farm, can only fall under Agriculture if the horses are used on the land to plough the fields or graze the land only. As soon as the land is used for exercise, or supplementary feeding the land falls under equestrian and would require a change of use application. So, when it comes to understanding whether planning permission is required for anything equestrian related, the chances are you will require some form of planning application.

If you are looking to install a new permanent equine facility, for example:

- Stables
- Horse walkers
- Riding arenas
- Concrete yards

These all require a full planning application to be submitted to your local authority.

Some equestrian uses have the potential to fall under Class E(d) "indoor sport and recreations" or Class F2(c) "Areas or places for outdoor sport or recreation" for example horse riding, eventing, or other equestrian activities. Although most will now fall into the Sui generis class to specify the most appropriate use based on the nature of the specific application. This most often occurs when there are cases of mixed use applications.

Change of Use Application for Steel Equestrian Building

Whilst some applications can involve a change of use application combined with an application for a new development, there are also situations which would require a change of use application only for example:

- Stables from Private use to Commercial use
- Converting an existing agricultural building into equestrian building (such as stables)
- Livery yard to commercial property (such as a riding school)
- Agricultural land (such as a grass field) to an open manège, with or without fencing

Need help with planning permission for an equestrian building? →
green equestrian steel building planning permission, planning application for green equestrian steel building, green equestrian steel building planning services, steel equestrian building planning permissionequestrian steel building with sliding door planning permission, planning application for equestrian steel building with sliding door, equestrian steel building with sliding door planning services, steel equestrian building with sliding door planning permissionplanning permission for equestrian building internal, planning application for equestrian steel building internal, equestrian steel buildings internal, equestrian building planning services internal

Steel Stable Building for Personal Use

If you are looking to have stables for "personal enjoyment" these may benefit from permitted development rights if they are genuinely ancillary to the dwellinghouse (Class C3). This would also depend on factors such as distance from your home, the size and number of stables together with where you are based in the country.

If you meet the criteria for permitted development in this situation, it will still require a "prior notification" application to be made to your local authority.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be,or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

Planning Consultants for Equestrian and Mixed Use Steel Buildings

Considering a new building or change of use and need help with a planning application. Get in touch with our consultants today to discuss your proposals to see how we can best help you with your application.

Saxby Hatfield specialises in all types of planning applications for equestrian use, we are based Leicestershire but we cover projects across England, so if you are interested in finding out more about any of our equestrian planning services, or you have a question about planning permission for a farm building, please do not hesitate to get in touch and give us a call on 01664 566 119.

Contact us for an informal discussion about your requirements, or for more information about equestrian steel buildings or our company. Following initial consultation we can provide an outline proposal detailing how we can help and the costs involved.

By sending this form you agreeing to our Privacy Policy and for the personal data entered above to be saved to allow us to properly respond to your enquiry. Data is not shared with third-parties.